How often have you thought you would love to fly?
At Phoenix Flying School we offer
- Modern clubhouse and facilities
- 3 well maintained aircraft
- Experienced instructors
- Friendly club atmosphere
- Fly-aways and flying competitions
- Training from ab-initio through to Recreational, Private and Commercial Pilot Licence (Including Night VFR)
Phoenix Flying School offers competitive rates with discounts available for club members. Phoenix Aero Club is a not-for-profit organisation and we keep our Flying Costs as low as possible. Training Materials are available.
Training at Camden Airport has many advantages over Bankstown as it has less traffic and less waiting time and is situated within the Training Area giving you more time in the air to learn your new skills.
A Trial Instructional Flight can be arranged for $150 in a Beechcraft Skipper, in a Cessna 172 or Piper Warrior through our Head of Operations.
TAFE NSW offers many AviationTheory courses including Theory Training to CPL level. Sydney Aviation Theory offers personalised tuition in a wide range of Aviation theory subjects – please contact our Head of Operations for further information.
(NB New CASA Part 61 Requirements apply from 1 September 2014)
Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL)
The RPL is your first step to an exhilarating career or life-long passion in the aviation industry.
- be at least 16 years old
- have a Class 1 or 2 medical certificate, or a recreational aviation medical (conditions apply)
- have 25 hours flight time (comprising 20 hours dual and 5 hours solo)
- pass an aeronautical exam with the associated rating
- pass a flight test
RPL holders are allowed to fly up to 25nm from the aerodrome where the flight began, the designated training area, or a direct route between the two, in day VFR private operations in a single engine aircraft. If the individual already holds a pilot certificate issued by a recreational aviation administration organisation, they will be able to exercise the privileges of a RPL after they have conducted a flight review.
Private Pilot Licence (PPL)
A Private Pilot Licence allows you to fly anywhere in Australia and gain ratings (including night VFR and Instrument ratings) and endorsements to fly many exciting new aircraft. A PPL can be issued after the successful completion of an integrated or non-integrated course.
- Must be at least 17 years of age
- Integrated Course: Minimum of 35 hours flight time including 10 hours solo plus 5 hours solo cross-country and 2 hours instrument time
- Non-Integrated Course: Additional 5 hours flight time (40 hours in total)
- All classes of airspace need to be ICAO compliant
Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL)
The CPL allows you to fly for hire or reward, anywhere in Australia and is a stepping-stone to the Air Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) which is required for employment with airlines.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Pass all 7 theory exams within a two-year period including:
- Human Performance and Limitations
- Aeronautical Knowledge
- Engine systems and management
- Operation and performance
- A CPL holder cannot be pilot-in-command of an aircraft engaged in multi-crew charter or RPT, a multi-engine aircraft with more than 9 passenger seats in RPT, or a turbojet aircraft with MTOW greater than 3500 kg in RPT.